Friday, September 26, 2014

The Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam - I'd not recommend it.

I was at the wonderful, renovated Rijksmuseum only a few months ago, and I've can't remember how many lovely visits I've made to the van Gogh, so a change seemed a good idea. The Stedelijk was not a good choice - I'd recommend against going, actually.

They've a big exhibition of pictures by Marlene Dumas. I'd never heard of her, not that surprising. I looked her up and she's a South African, based in Amsterdam. Clearly she's very good at marketing.

There were two or three good pictures - this portrait, on a vast scale, was one I thought OK:





Mostly, though, they were large, messy, monochrome scribbles with much emphasis on genitalia, for no reason I could see. Stuff that'd be find for student practice work, but not the sort of thing you'd want to pay 75€ to see when on your hols with excellent art only a few hundred metres away.

The rest of the gallery was variable. There is a nice van Gogh, an interesting Kandinski, a few walls with vivid blocks of colour and lots of indifferent messes. 

There are lots of 'found' objects - the main question they raise is why they weren't just left there when found.

There are a few rooms of furniture and household goods - the furniture can't be sat on, it's in glass cases, so you can't tell if it is as uncomfortable and impractical as it, mostly, looks.

I liked the kettles, but I've a particular interest in the evolution of the kettle. I liked a few porcelain pieces, below.

The highlights (pretty well all of them):


Can you see the magnificent cockroach?





No comments:

Post a Comment